Friday, November 27, 2015

Writerly Things...11/27/15

Writerly Things...11/27/15
Traci Kenworth

So, I'm up to 5 pages a day on my main WIP. I try and write another page on my second WIP, research a future WIP, and write a page on a short story. Sometimes, things come up and I have to give up all but the main wipe activity but that's life. I try and focus on my main WIP all the time to keep it fresh in my mind. So when I'm doing other activities, I'm thinking on it. It's my understanding that a lot of writers work this way.

I don't tend to write fast, although I used to. I've slowed down over the past years as I've concentrated on learning more of my craft. They say reading is very important and I try to have several books I'm reading at the same time. I take a book with me everywhere I go. It helps to fill in the gaps and time lapses at the doctor's offices. Someday, I'd like to have a Kindle to take with me.

At the moment, I'm writing in the fantasy and horror genre, YA. I've always liked fantasy and continue far and large in the genre. Some of my favorites are Tolkien's LOTR, The Hobbit, and Silmarillion, more recent, Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials and The Harry Potter books. I love to read Rebekah L. Purdy's works, including The Winter People books 1 & 2 (can't wait for the third). In horror, I like Stephen King's work (I'm currently reading Revival), Dean Koontz's work, Brian Lumley, Ramsey Campbell, Tanith Lee, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro and more. Some favorite YA's include The Hunger Games, Twilight, the Mortal Instruments books, and Christoper Pike's books. I'm trying to read out of my genre more as well. There're SO many books and SO little time!! But I intend to continue to push the reading.

What are some of your favorite books you recommend? Short stories? What is the greatest lesson you've learned when it comes to your writing?

Photo by pippalou at morguefile.


No comments:

Post a Comment