Friday, May 1, 2015

Book Talk

Book Talk:

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Harry finds himself under attack by dementors along with his cousin, Dudley. Quick thinking saves him but it also spells trouble by the Ministry for using magic in a Muggle zone. When he is pulled into an ancient trial by Cornelius Fudge and other judges, he fights to remain at Hogwarts and not be stripped of his wand. He returns to school only to find that no one believes either himself or Dumbledore about what happened to Cedric and the reemergence of He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named. There’s also a new Inquisitor who has it out for Harry and his “lies.” This was a tense read!! I didn’t think it could get any better, but it has!! I’m eagerly looking forward to the next book in the series. Once again, I’m not sure which character I love more!! Neville really came to the front in this and as always Hermoine and Ron. Harry lives up to his prophecy. I spent most of the book hating Umbridge and I’m pleased with the turn out. Dumbledore also shone in this and dare I say it? Snape did as well. J.K. Rowling really, truly did an exemplary job with this world!!

Mia and the Bad Boy by Lisa Burstein, Entangled, A Backstage Pass Novel, releases 5/19/15. I received an advanced copy for review. OH MY GOSH, this was AWESOME!! Mia Reyes is an ordinary girl who meets bad boy, Ryder Brooks one of the five Seconds to Juliet boy band members and finds her world turned upside down. She has been kept supervised her whole life and only gets the gig as Ryder’s secret tutor because her mother works for the band’s manager. From the start, it’s hate-at-first-sight, lol but that quickly dissolves to love as they try and keep everyone guessing as to their true relationship (Ryder has told the band members she’s his girlfriend.). Soon, their first date is public fodder and private sensational. As the two grow closer, a secret Ryder has worked his whole life to protect is leaked and Mia comes under suspicion. Lisa Burnstein is definitely a writer to watch!!

The Winter People by Rebekah L. Purdy, released in 2014. Fantasy. I have to admit, I’m in Rebekah’s corner as she’s my critique partner and a good friend, but people, let me tell you this: this book is MAJORLY AWESOME. I’ve been struggling with a death in my family and this book not only helped me through the difficulty of this but gave me hope again when I’d lost my way. I say that because I was at such a low point and reading TWP helped me to find joy in life again. I’d read previous versions as her crit partner but this finished version I LOVE. Salome is afraid of the winter ever since she had an accident when still a child. She was saved from drowning in her Grandmother’s pond by someone a tad magical in her memories. The years have gone by and Salome is almost 18, an age that leads to a quick death in her family history. Forced to take care of her Grandma’s place while she and her Grandpa are away, Salome meets Nevin who seems vaguely familiar. Things are starting to look up for her at school, she’s caught her longtime crush’s attention and a new guy has started work at the local cafĂ©. Soon, all hell breaks loose as a creature tries to kill Salome. Whatever it is, it’s clear it’s magical and the three new guys in her life are involved somehow. But magic is often hard to see the truth behind and it will take everything in her to not only believe in fairytales but to find a way to break the curse somehow.





No comments:

Post a Comment